Level 3 Certificate in Canine Studies
This qualification is accredited through the Open College Network West Midlands and regulated through Ofqual. The course is accredited at Level 3 at 24 credits (240 hours). Delivery is through attending taught sessions one day a week which will include a mix of both theory and practical. You will have access to the specialised canine facilities at Reaseheath College including kennelling for 30 dogs, exercise and training arena and two industry standard grooming parlours. Canine specialised staff delivering on the course have MSc in Applied Animal Behaviour and Welfare, Kennel Club Accredited Instructor in Dog Training and Canine Behaviour, City and Guilds Level 3 Dog Grooming.
The course consists of 4 modules:
- Canine Care and Welfare (dog ownership, the puppy, care of the dog, preventing problem behavior, health care)
- Canine Nutrition (digestive system, nutrients, feeding requirements through life, types of feeds, feeding for health and behavior)
- Canine Anatomy and Physiology (anatomy and conformation, cardio and respiratory system, support and movement, systems of control, senses of the dog)
- Dog Grooming (handle and restrain a range of dogs, groom different breeds of dog / coat types, bath and dry a range of dog, clip and style different breeds of dog)
(If you have already achieved any of these modules, please speak to the office about accrediting prior learning or alternative modules are available via distance learning)
Assessment will cover a range of methods including short report writing, practical demonstrations and short answer questions.
No specific entry requirements but candidates must be over 18 years old, working at level 2 and have an interest and some experience and confidence with dogs.
Dates and Times
Monday 17th April – 26th June and Monday 25th September 4th – December, 20 weeks, 9.30-4.30
- Employment in kennels, self-employment as Dog Walker, Pet Sitter etc
Further Canine Studies Units – Available through Distance Learning:
- Providing Professional Day Care and Boarding Services
- Setting up a Small Canine Business
Further Canine Studies Courses – taught full qualification:
- Level 3 Certificate in Canine Training and Behaviour
- FdSc/BSc Canine Behaviour and Training (subject to meeting entry requirements)
For further information or to enrol please telephone 01270 613166 or 613192 or email Canine@reaseheath.ac.uk.