Short journey: 1 day, Long Journey : 2 days
Followed by assessment at a later date. Please note that Reaseheath do not provide the training for this, we only provide the assessments.
1. Transportation of livestock (short journey) for journeys over 65km and under 8 hours in duration.
2. Transportation of livestock (long journey) for journeys over 65 km and over 8 hours in duration
The certificate will be endorsed against one or more of the following species that the candidate has been registered against: sheep or cattle and cattle or pigs or horses and game birds or poultry.
Candidates taking the Certificate of Competence must be a minimum of 16 years of age, there is no upper age limit.
- Legal requirements and responsibilities
- Responsibilities when transporting animals
- Planning a journey by road
- Suitability of the vehicle
- Checking animals fitness to travel
- Causes and signs of stress in animals
- Space allowance and stocking densities and segregation requirements
- Handling and animal welfare in transit
- Post-journey requirements
1. Transportation of Livestock – Short Journey
This qualification is made up of one compulsory unit in two parts- Part 1 for cattle, cattle and sheep, sheep, pigs and horses, and/or part B for poultry and game birds.
Assessment is in the form of an online-multi-choice GOLA based test or via oral questioning from an approved Assessor.
2. Transportation of Livestock – Long Journey
This qualification is made up of two compulsory and one optional unit.
UNIT 1 – Long Distance Transport of Animals by Road- Principals (assessed by online multi-choice GOLA based test or via oral questioning from an approved Assessor).
UNIT 2 – Long Distance Transport of Animals by Road-Principals (Assessed in one-to-one practical with an approved Assessor).
UNIT 3 – (optional) – Drive an Animal Transport Vehicle – This unit requires the candidate to complete a journey minimum of 15 miles with minimum 75% load of vehicle with the vehicle being of a type that the candidate normally drives. (Assessed in one-to-one practical with an approved Assessor).