Cattle Artificial Insemination
Date: 22nd – 24th November
Time: 9.30am registration for 10am start – 3pm finish
Trainer: Mike Christie Veterinarian-DEFRA Approved Trainer
Venue: Reaseheath College, CW5 6DF
Group Size: Five
Cost: £660 with DEFRA certificate of competence -Student discount available
The benefits of Artificial Insemination (A.I.)
- Improve the genetic quality of your herd.
- Positively impact your herd’s profit generation potential.
- Increase consistency and value of your calf crop.
- Access to superior and proven herd sires at an affordable price.
- Eliminate the need to purchase, house and feed bulls.
- Reduce labor and costs associated with convenience traits, such as; calving ease and milking ability.
- Shorten your breeding and calving season.
- Animal Science students- learn a skill that makes you more valuable to perspective employers, veterinary school or your family ranch/farm.
AI course further details
Morning- Anatomy and physiology to include; Heat detection (including heat detection aids), frequency and timing of insemination/standing heat to ovulation/voluntary waiting times. Progesterone levels over time. Sperm quantity/lifespan/activity in uterine tract. Am/pm rule of serving bulling cows. Practical using uterine tracts
Morning- Semen Handling and thawing; Straw data, legal requirements of recording of semen straw data. Requirements of bull testing prior to sperm collection. Liquid nitrogen and flask management/ health and safety. Thawing procedure. Loading of insemination gun with sheath and straws. Analysis of sperm under microscope. Problem shooting. Further practical work using uterine tracts
Morning- AI legislation. Reproductive management/heifer/cow conception rate/ Cow stress and effects on productivity/fertility. Days in milk and the milk lactation curve. Factors affecting milk production eg nutrition/mastitis/bad calving etc. Submission rates. Optimum condition scores at key times. Embryo transfer/bull proof discussion
Afternoon-Practical insemination, including cream test and scan to establish accuracy of technique
To book a place on this course please contact Alison Regan-
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Call: 01270 625131