Level 2 Diploma
Veterinary Care Assistants
This introductory course is excellent preparation for the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing – the qualification you’ll need to become a fully qualified veterinary nurse. It’s a well-recognised qualification in its own right, even if you don’t progress to Level 3.
This course could help you get a job working in a veterinary practice as a nursing assistant or within animal welfare and rescue, boarding kennels and catteries, pet stores or grooming parlours.
What will I study?
- Animal handling and care in the veterinary environment
- Assisting with care in the veterinary environment
- Administrative duties in the veterinary care environment
How long will it take?
- 1 year, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- Some GCSEs at grade 4 or above (to include English, Maths and Science at grade 3 or above)
- Entry exam success
- Letter of support from a vet practice for 600 hours of work
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Diploma in Veterinary Care Assistants
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
Course options after this programme
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Dimploma or Certificate in Animal Management
- Veterinary care assistant in a practice or with an animal charity
Level 2 placements
We will endeavour to assist you in finding a suitable placement however, as we do not actively place students we encourage you to find your own. Once you have a confirmed offer of a placement please ask the practice to notify the Veterinary Nursing team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Securing a placement
For some useful tips on finding a placement read our 20 step guide to securing a veterinary practice placement here.
How much will this course cost?
If you are under 19 on 31st August 2018 the tuition fees and exam costs are free for our courses. If you are aged 19 or over you may have to pay a fee.
You may also be required to pay costs associated with study tours or additional qualifications.
For more information on fees and to find out about what financial support may be available to you visit the student finance pages on our website.
Our college buses pick up over 1,400 students each day from a wide area. From September 2018 all college bus routes to Reaseheath will be FREE. To find a bus route near you visit the transport pages on our website.
At Reaseheath we have on-site residential accommodation for 785 students. If you are aged over 16 and studying on a full-time course you may apply for a residential place. Visit the accommodation pages on our website for more information.
How do I apply?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find out more information about this course on our FAQs page.