Canine Studies – Distance Learning Modules
The Canine Studies programme consists of a range of individually accredited Canine modules. Each module is individually accredited through OCN at Level 3 (A level standard). There are no pre-requisites for any of the modules. The modules below are available via distance learning, this enables you to study in your own time from home at your own pace and around other commitments. There are no time restrictions in completion – but as a guide each module should normally take 4-6 weeks.
Support is available from your tutor via email or phone.
All modules cost £300 including registration.
To book on to one of these programmes please visit our Online Store.
For more information on any of our Canine courses please complete the contact form. Alternatively you can contact us directly on 01270 613166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Canine care and welfare module
- Dog Ownership – Choosing a dog, living with a dog, the law etc
- The Puppy – Bringing up a puppy, development stages, socialisation
- Care of the Dog – Feeding, exercise, grooming, training, travelling, the older dog
- Preventing Problem Behaviour – Management, preventing specific problems e.g. separation anxiety, destruction, aggression, attention seeking behaviours etc
- Health Care – Vaccinations, parasites, neutering, common health problems, first aid
Canine nutrition module
- Module 1 – Digestive system
- Module 2 – Nutrients – source and function – protein, carbohydrate, fats, water, vitamins and minerals
- Module 3 – Feeding requirements through life e.g. puppies, young dogs, working dogs, breeding dogs/old dogs
- Module 4 – Feeding for health and behaviour -allergies, role of diet in health, disease and behaviour
Canine behaviour and communication module
- Module 1 – Origins of the dog – classification, evolution and domestication
- Module 2 – Wolf/wild dog behaviour and its implications and limitations in understanding dog behaviour
- Module 3 – Dog behaviour – social, feeding, sexual, human – dog relationships
- Module 4 – Dog communication – dog-dog, dog-human, body language, facial expression, scent
- Module 5 – Dog emotions – primary and secondary emotions, joy, fear, stress, implications
Setting up a small canine business module
- Module 1 – The business idea
- Module 2 – Marketing
- Module 3 – Finance
- Module 4 – Human resource management
- Module 5 – The business plan
Canine anatomy and physiology module
- Module 1 – Basic anatomy of the dog
- Module 2 – Understanding anatomy and physiology
- Module 3 – Bones and joints
- Module 4 – Functions and physiology of the central nervous system
- Module 5 – Understand the sensory system of the dog
There is also the option to combine modules to achieve a Level 3 Certificate in Canine Studies. If you wish to study the full course please contact email@example.com for more information before booking.