Level 2 Apprenticeship in
Animal Care and Welfare Assistant
Our Level 2 Animal Care and Welfare Assistant apprenticeship is a chance to work and earn a wage while building your knowledge and skills.
You will receive one day of training a week remotely, and the rest will be delivered in the workplace with the support of an industry expert assessor.
A particularly diverse industry, you could find yourself working in a role such as: Animal Technician, Wildlife Rehabilitation Assistant, Farm/Park/Zoo Assistant, Vet Care Assistant.
What will I study?
- UK and EU Animal related legislation
- Current legislation, policies, procedures, guidelines, Codes of Practice and ethics relevant to the workplace and the health and welfare of animals
- The species/breeds specific to your role and common characteristics
- Signs that indicate potential problems with animals’ health and welfare and the actions that should be taken
- The types of basic medication, routes of administering medication, safe handling and disposal of medication
- Animal first aid, urgent, ongoing and preventive care
- Accommodation and environment requirements that are suitable and safe for animals
- The use of different cleaning materials and equipment
- Feeding, watering and basic nutrition and characteristics of foodstuffs
- How to safely approach/handle/restrain/move animals
- The behaviours of the animal, applicable to the species and how it impacts its care and welfare such as stress/distress/pain/fear/frustration
- How the animal you are working with learns and the basic principles of re-enforcement techniques
How long will it take?
- 12 – 18 months
What qualifications do I need to start?
- Preferably GCSEs at grade 2 or above including English and Maths
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Apprenticeship in Animal Care & Welfare Assistant
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
Course options after this programme
- Progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- Animal technician
- Animal welfare assistant
- Wildlife rehabilitation assistant
- Farm/park/zoo assistant
- Vet care assistant