Level 2 Technical Certificate
This popular introductory level course is designed to prepare you for employment within animal welfare and rescue, boarding kennels and catteries, pet stores or grooming parlours.
The course offers a good mix of theory, task-based learning, tutorials and practical workshops at college combined with field visits and work experience in the animal care industry. You’ll explore all aspects of animal husbandry along with an introduction to animal biology.
What will I study?
- Maintain animal health and welfare
- Animal feeding and accommodation
- Animal behaviour and handling
- The principles of animal biology
- British wildlife species, habitats and rehabilitation
- Caring for zoo animals
- Working in the animal care industry
- Health and safety for the land-based industries
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and maths depending on previous qualifications
- Work placement (minimum 150 hours)
How long will it take?
- 1 year, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- Some GCSEs at grade 3 or above to include English, Maths and Science, or
- Foundation Level 1 Diploma in Animal Care
- A keen interest in animals and ideally 2 weeks practical work placement
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Technical Certificate in Animal Care
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
- College certificate in Personal and Social Development
Course options after this programme
- You can progress on to the Level 3 in Animal Management or an apprenticeship
Career options after this programme
- Kennels or cattery assistant
- Pet store assistant
- Pet grooming