Technical Baccalaureate in
The Technical Baccalaureate is a government backed programme that is designed for talented individuals who wish to pursue a career within the field of animal care.
This course is perfect for high achievers with a passion to work in the animal industry.
You’ll explore a range of topics which may include the principles of animal biology and nutrition, breed development, zoo health and wildlife rehabilitation alongside Level 3 Core Maths and an extended project. You will also complete an extensive work placement within the field of animal care, along with the opportunity to study a wide range of specialist units in animal science, business and industry related subjects. As part of the course you will be assessed by a variety of exams and controlled assessments.
To prepare you for the practical industry you will be entering into, you will be required to carry out practical sessions each week. This could of consist of husbandry, handling and technical skills.
How long will it take?
- 2 years, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above to include English, Maths and Science at grade 5, or
- Relevant Level 2 Diploma at Merit or above with GCSE grade 5 in Maths and English
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Animal Management
- Level 3 Core Maths
- Level 3 Extended Project qualification
Successful completion of these 3 elements will result in the awarding of the Technical Baccalaureate performance measure
Course options after this programme
- You may progress into Higher Education, gain employment within the animal care industry or start a Higher Apprenticeship
Higher Education course options
- Animal behaviour
- Applied behaviour and training
- Animal science and business
- Animal biology and conservation
- Wildlife and conservation
- Research and laboratory work
- Senior management positions at zoo’s
- Environmental consultancy
- Government advisory positions
- Assistance dog trainer
- Veterinary physiotherapist
- Environmental consultant
- Research scientist
- Pet behaviour counsellor