You don’t need any formal skills but a keen interest in countryside and the outdoors is essential! Your GCSE results will determine which level course you come and study. For entry requirements take a look at each course page.

Depending which level course you study career options can vary between a countryside ranger, conservation worker, estate manager, arboricultuirist, fisheries manager and much more.


This will depend on which level course you choose to study. Find out on each course page in the ‘At a glance’ section.

Surrounded by the Cheshire countryside and with the River Weaver flowing through our fields, Reaseheath’s rural situation is ideal for you if you want to learn and train  in environmental management and conservation. The 300 hectare estate provides extensive opportunity for real hands on experience combined with in depth technical study and development.

The Countryside department has exclusive use of neighbouring estates for practical conservation work. Because the college’s location means many national conservation sites are nearby; we have also formed strong links with Cheshire Councils’ Countryside Services, Wirral Ranger Services, local Wildlife Trusts, the forestry commission and local fisheries.

You may have the opportunity to work with chainsaws, chipper, sprayers, tractors, billhooks, estate tools like spades and hammers, ID charts, nets, boats, ropes, winches.

Students aged under 19 will not be charged tuition fees. If you are aged over 19 visit the 19+ Further Education Tuition Fees page.

Day trips occur throughout the course to places of local interest such as Delamere, Cannock chase, Brereton heath and Sefton – as well as local shoots estates and fisheries.

Study tours occur by negotiation with course managers and would take place in the second year of a Level 3 course.

Students on a countryside course will need overalls, work gloves, steel top cap boots, waterproof clothing, warm clothing, a rucksack, flask and field notebook.

You will also be required to purchase stationery and reference textbooks.


All students will undertake work experience, how much will depend on which course you are studying. Please check course pages for details.

The only time Countryside, Forestry, Fisheries and Game Management students are required to attend outside college hours is at our annual Family Festival in May.

If you have any further questions please contact the enquiries team by using our online enquiry form.