Our bespoke programme has been created for young people aged 16 to 25, with more complex learning difficulties or disabilities, who are intending to hold an Education, Health and Care plan.
This programme caters for young people who have a statement of Special Education Needs, a Learning Difficulty Assessment or an EHC (Education and Health Care plan).
The internship normally lasts for a year and includes a work placement of 2 to 3 days per week, with support in the workplace if needed.
Students will combine their placement with vocational learning at college along with working on Maths and English skills. Students will also have chance to gain additional qualifications in Health and Safety and Customer Service.
The aim of Supported Internships is to prepare young people with complex needs for paid employment by:
- Supporting them to develop the skills valued by employers
- Enabling them to demonstrate their value in the workplace
- Developing confidence at their own abilities to perform successfully at work
- Completing a range of qualifications (up to Level 2 if appropriate)
Other outcomes include:
- Building up experience for a CV
- Changing the perception of employers about employing people with learning difficulties and/or disabilities
- Changing the perception of the young person’s family that they can work
- Improving skills in English and Maths
- Becoming independent travellers