Dairy Cow Reproduction and Breeding
This is concerned with the principles of fertility management and reproductive health applying theory of reproduction to the development of a fertility management programme. This also focuses on breeding management, related to production, type and management traits, regarding cow longevity, fertility and cow performance. It applies the knowledge of reproductive physiology.
- Understand the principles of genetic variation and evaluate the impact of genetics on performance
- Evaluate animal fertility including benchmarking and be able to calculate performance figures to put in place an action plan.
- Identify possible breeding objectives and evaluate for use in a specific breeding programme.
- Understand factors affecting performance and future fertility of the herd.
- Recognise the signs and know the cause, treatment and prevention of health issues affecting the fertility of a dairy herd.