What is an apprenticeship?

Apprenticeships are a fantastic way to get career ready, providing apprentices with the skills and knowledge needed to take a step into their chosen career. With a range of opportunities in many different industries, this could be the route for you. If you are more practical minded and learn by doing, then keep on reading to learn a little more.  

So, what exactly is an apprenticeship you may be wondering. This is a job where you get to experience the practical side of working and gain valuable skills, whilst getting paid and having theory-based lessons too. On-the-job training consists of about 80% of the workload and the other 20% will be classroom-based learning leading to a recognised qualification.  

Who can apply? 

Firstly, who can apply to start an apprenticeship? If you are above the age of 16, at the start of your career, wanting a career change, are not in education or wanting to gain relevant skills in their field then you can go ahead and apply.  


There are different levels that equal varying qualifications and will be varying levels of difficulty and skill level, these include: 

  • Intermediate 
  • Advanced  
  • Higher  
  • Degree  

Depending on the level and industry will also impact the length of course, these can vary between one and six years.  


There are so many benefits of choosing to become an apprentice, it is an interesting route that helps to boost your skills and gain experience whilst also getting paid. This practical option is industry focused and will get you ready for your career, with at least a year of work experience and a qualification.  

Other benefits include: 

  • Holiday leave  
  • Experience in an area that you have an interest in 
  • No tuition fees 
  • Recognised qualifications 
  • Employee benefits 
  • Working with industry professionals 


Popular industries where apprenticeships are offered  

Over the years, this has become a popular choice for entering a chosen profession. In the past, apprenticeships may have only been thought of as a place for those in construction to get trained up. However, now there are options for all sorts of industries, such as: 

  • Law 
  • Healthcare 
  • Quantity surveying 
  • Hairdressing 
  • Business
  • Catering
  • Digital
  • Transport and logistics


Apprenticeships at Reaseheath  

If you decide this is the route for you, then why not consider Reaseheath as the place to study. We offer a range of sectors that you can choose from at different levels and to match your career aspirations, these include: 

  • Agriculture 
  • Bakery 
  • Bus and coach engineering 
  • Construction 
  • Craft Butchery Retail and Production 
  • Dairy technology 
  • Food and Drink Process Operator 
  • Food technologist 
  • Equine 
  • Horticulture  
  • Land-Based Service Engineering Technician 
  • Rail engineering 
  • Team leader/supervisor  
  • Veterinary Nursing 
  • Trade supplier 
  • Teacher training 
  • Construction plant 


Now you know a little bit more, is an apprenticeship the route for you?