Level 2 Technical Certificate
Also offered at Croft End and Burrow’s Lane
This course is designed to introduce you to the many career options within the equestrian industry. You will develop the knowledge and practical skills you’ll need to work within the industry.
You will work with horses in a safe environment, complete work experience and enjoy study trips – great preparation for your next steps in study or employment.
What will I study?
- Health and Safety
- Equine Health and Welfare
- Working in Equine Industry
- Horse Tack and Equipment
- Routine Stable Duties
- Feeding and Watering Horses
- Horse Handling and Grooming
- Introduction to Lungeing
- Equine Anatomy and Physiology
- Work Placement (150 hours)
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
How long will it take?
- 1 year, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs at grades D
- Foundation Level 1 in Horse Care at Merit or above
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Technical Certificate in Horse Care
- You will also have the opportunity to gain additional qualifications, including BHS Certificates
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths (depending on previous qualifications)
Course options after this programme
- You can progress on to one of our Level 3 Technical Qualifications in Equine (Merit overall needed at Level 2), or
- Apprenticeship or Advanced Apprenticeship in Horse Care
- Riding schools and livery yards
- Competition yards – eventing, show jumping, dressage, showing
- Racing industry
Please note: acceptance onto riding units is subject to assessment and weight limit of 13 stone.
You will also have the opportunity to gain certificates in:
- Volunteering/working within the community
- BHS progressive tests (1-6) and other BHS qualifications
Rachael Thompson – NAF Area Sales Manager
NAF (Natural Animal Feeds) is one of the most respected and well known brand of supplement for horses in the UK and is an official supplier to the British Equestrian Team. As area sales manager for NAF Rachael is responsible for overseeing all sales operations within the North West. Rachael is also a well respected BHS assistant instructor and former eventer.
Heather Klimczak – Newcastle Equine Laundry
Heather is the owner of Newcastle Equine Laundry, a commercial equine and pet based laundry in Newcastle, Staffordshire. Her family run business offers a professional cleaning, re-proofing, repair and alteration service as well as selling a range of saddlery, feed, shaving and supplements.
Heather has a BSc in Equine Science and a wealth of equine experience across many disciplines.
Livery packages at Reaseheath Equestrian Centre
We offer a range of livery packages from full working livery to DIY livery with a stable management option. To find out more about our livery packages visit the livery pages on our website.
How much will this course cost?
If you are under 19 on 31st August 2018 the tuition fees and exam costs are free for our courses. If you are aged 19 or over you may have to pay a fee.
You may also be required to pay costs associated with study tours or additional qualifications.
For more information on fees and to find out about what financial support may be available to you visit the student finance pages on our website.
Our college buses pick up over 1,400 students each day from a wide area. From September 2018 all college bus routes to Reaseheath will be FREE. To find a bus route near you visit the transport pages on our website.
At Reaseheath we have on-site residential accommodation for 785 students. If you are aged over 16 and studying on a full-time course you may apply for a residential place. Visit the accommodation pages on our website for more information.
How do I apply?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find out more information about this course on our FAQs page.