Level 3 Diploma
If you have a keen interest in fitness and health and are looking to become a fully qualified personal trainer, or work in an associated active leisure role, then this course is for you!
This two year course, in association with Active iQ the UK’s leading awarding body for the active leisure sector, will give you the skills, knowledge and qualifications required for a successful career in the personal training and fitness industry.
Perfect for those just starting out or for career changers, this course will ensure you will be ready to start your own business or work as part of a leisure company.
You will be in college for three days a week with half your time spent enjoying practical sessions in our specialist gym and sports performance lab. You will work towards gaining recognised qualifications in studio cycling, kettlebells, suspended movement, circuits and sports massage, all great additions to your CV!
To give you industry experience and further develop your practical skills, you will complete a relevant work placement one day a week (either Wednesday or Friday).
What will I study?
- Principles of anatomy, physiology and fitness
- Planning and instructing gym-based exercise
- Principles of customer care
- Working in active leisure facilities
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Managing personal and professional development
- Skills for employment interviews
- Planning and instructing studio cycling sessions
- Planning and instructing circuit training sessions
- Planning and instructing kettlebell exercise sessions
- Planning and instructing suspended movement training sessions
- Applied human biology for exercise and fitness
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Understanding the principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Principles of nutrition for healthy lifestyles
- Conducting consultations with personal training clients
- Programme design and delivery for personal training
- Professional practice in sports massage
- Sports massage treatments
- Developing exceptional customer care skills
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Marketing products and services
- Technology in sport and exercise
How long will it take?
- 2 years, full-time
- Your college days will be Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (9am til 5pm)
- Your work placement will be completed on either Wednesday or Friday
What qualifications do I need to start?
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 4/C or above to include Maths, English and Science or PE, or
- Level 2 Extended Certificate or above at Merit grade or equivalent
- Some experience of gym based training or a desire to enhance knowledge
- A degree of physical fitness due to physical exertion on the course
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Physical Activity, Fitness and Exercise Science
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
- You will have the opportunity to work towards additional qualifications
Career options after this programme
- Personal training – sole trader or working within an existing company
- Sports massage therapist
- Gym instructor
- Class instructor
- Activity leader
- Additional job roles within the fitness and health industry
The following qualifications are included as part of your course:
- Level 2 Award in Instructing in Circuit Sessions
- Level 2 Award in Instructing in Kettlebells
- Level 2 Award in Instructing in Studio Cycling
- Level 2 Award in Instructing in Suspended Movement
- Level 3 Diploma in Sports Massage Therapy
You will also have the opportunity to gain further qualifications at an additional cost.
As a Personal Training student you will get free membership to our college gym saving £80 per year.
This state-of-the-art facility is fully equipped with top specification machines including an Olympic lifting platform, free weights area and Technogym cardiovascular and resistance machines.
To find out more about our gym visit the College gym pages on our website.
How much will this course cost?
If you are under 19 on 31st August 2019 the tuition fees and exam costs are free for our courses. If you are aged 19 or over you may have to pay a fee.
You may also be required to pay costs associated with study tours or additional qualifications.
For more information on fees and to find out about what financial support may be available to you visit the student finance pages on our website.
Our college bus service collects over 1,400 students every day from far and wide. What’s more, getting to Reaseheath is FREE* on all college bus routes. To find a bus route near you visit the transport pages on our website.
At Reaseheath we have on-site residential accommodation for up to 1,000 students. If you are aged over 16 and studying on a full-time course you may apply for a residential place. Visit the accommodation pages on our website for more information.
How do I apply?
Frequently Asked Questions
You can find out more information about this course on our FAQs page.
*Subject to terms and conditions