AIQ Level 3 Diploma
Physical Activity, Fitness and Exercise Science
(one-year level 2 option available)
If you have a keen interest in fitness and health and are looking to become a fully qualified personal trainer, or work in an associated active leisure role, then this course is for you!
This two year course, in association with Active iQ the UK’s leading awarding body for the active leisure sector, will give you the skills, knowledge and qualifications required for a successful career in the personal training and fitness industry.
Perfect for those just starting out or for career changers, this course will ensure you will be ready to start your own business or work as part of a leisure company.
You will be in college for three days a week with half your time spent enjoying practical sessions in our specialist gym and sports performance lab. You will work towards gaining recognised qualifications in studio cycling, kettlebells, suspended movement, circuits and sports massage, all great additions to your CV!
To give you industry experience and further develop your practical skills, you will complete a relevant work placement one day a week (either Wednesday or Friday).
What will I study?
- Principles of anatomy, physiology and fitness
- Planning and instructing gym-based exercise
- Principles of customer care
- Working in active leisure facilities
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Managing personal and professional development
- Skills for employment interviews
- Planning and instructing studio cycling sessions
- Planning and instructing circuit training sessions
- Planning and instructing kettlebell exercise sessions
- Planning and instructing suspended movement training sessions
- Applied human biology for exercise and fitness
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Understanding the principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Principles of nutrition for healthy lifestyles
- Conducting consultations with personal training clients
- Programme design and delivery for personal training
- Professional practice in sports massage
- Sports massage treatments
- Developing exceptional customer care skills
- Enterprise and entrepreneurship
- Marketing products and services
- Technology in sport and exercise
How long will it take?
- 2 years, full-time
- Your college days will be Monday, Tuesday and Thursday (9am til 5pm)
- Your work placement will be completed on either Wednesday or Friday
What qualifications do I need to start?
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 4/C or above to include Maths, English and Science or PE, or
- Level 2 Extended Certificate or above at Merit grade or equivalent
- Some experience of gym based training or a desire to enhance knowledge
- A degree of physical fitness due to physical exertion on the course
What qualifications will I gain?
- AIQ Level 3 Diploma in Physical Activity, Fitness and Exercise Science
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
- You will have the opportunity to work towards additional qualifications
Career options after this programme
- Personal training – sole trader or working within an existing company
- Sports massage therapist
- Gym instructor
- Class instructor
- Activity leader
- Additional job roles within the fitness and health industry