Level 2 Diploma
Veterinary Care Assistants
This introductory course is excellent preparation for the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing – the qualification you’ll need to become a fully qualified veterinary nurse. It’s a well-recognised qualification in its own right, even if you don’t progress to Level 3.
This course could help you get a job working in a veterinary practice as a nursing assistant or within animal welfare and rescue, boarding kennels and catteries, pet stores or grooming parlours.
What will I study?
- Animal handling and care in the veterinary environment
- Assisting with care in the veterinary environment
- Administrative duties in the veterinary care environment
How long will it take?
- 1 year, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- Some GCSEs at grade 4 or above (to include English, Maths and Science at grade 3 or above)
- Entry exam success
- Letter of confirmation or email from the veterinary practice to confirm the placement. During the course you will then complete 600 hours of work experience supported by the Vet Nursing Department
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
Course options after this programme
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma or Certificate in Animal Management
- Veterinary care assistant in a practice or with an animal charity