Level 2 Diploma
Veterinary Care Assistants
This introductory course is excellent preparation for the Level 3 Diploma in Veterinary Nursing – the qualification you’ll need to become a fully qualified veterinary nurse. It’s a well-recognised qualification in its own right, even if you don’t progress to Level 3.
This course could help you get a job working in a veterinary practice as a nursing assistant or within animal welfare and rescue, boarding kennels and catteries, pet stores or grooming parlours.
Level 2 placements
We will endeavour to assist you in finding a suitable placement however, as we do not actively place students we encourage you to find your own. Once you have a confirmed offer of a placement please ask the practice to notify the Veterinary Nursing team by emailing email@example.com
Securing a placement
For some useful tips on finding a placement read our 20 step guide to securing a veterinary practice placement here.
What will I study?
- Animal handling and care in the veterinary environment
- Assisting with care in the veterinary environment
- Administrative duties in the veterinary care environment
How long will it take?
- 1 year, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- GCSEs at grade D/3 or above in English Language and Maths, and C/4 or above in Science
- Entry exam success
- Letter of confirmation or email from the veterinary practice to confirm the placement. During the course you will then complete 600 hours of work experience supported by the Vet Nursing Department
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants
- Functional Skills or GCSE in English and Maths depending on previous qualifications
Course options after this programme
- You can progress on to the Level 3 in Veterinary Nursing
- You can progress on to the Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma or Certificate in Animal Management
- Veterinary care assistant in a practice or with an animal charity
Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants; City & Guilds Medal for Excellence 2018
Veterinary Care Assistant, Alsager Vet Centre (part of The Willows Veterinary Group)
“I thoroughly recommend the Level 2 course. It gives you a real insight into the industry and sets you up for a great career. As for vet nursing – I love learning and I get a lot of satisfaction from caring for the patients who come in with a wide variety of health issues. Pets mean a lot to people and owners are so grateful when they collect a happy, healthy pet from us.”