Level 3 Apprenticeship
Our Level 3 Veterinary Nursing course is an Apprenticeship; meaning our students are employed and working in practice for 30+hours each week, with day release to College throughout the duration of their course.
The Level 3 qualification is essential to become a Registered Veterinary Nurse. You’ll be supported in developing vital clinical and employability skills in a real-life setting in preparation for the responsibilities and accountability of being a Registered Veterinary Nurse.
What will I study?
- VN01 Professional Veterinary Nursing Responsibilities
- VN02 Diagnostic Principles
- VN03 Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 1
- VN04 Pharmacology and Dispensary Management
- VN05 Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills 1
- VN06 Anaesthesia and Theatre Nursing Skills
- VN07 Life Stage Nursing Care and Support
- VN08 Principles of Veterinary Nursing Care 2
- VN09 Surgical Nursing and Patient Care
- VN10 Practical Veterinary Nursing Skills 2
Embedded within this qualification is the content required for a Student Veterinary Nurse to become a Suitably Qualified Person (SQP) for Companion Animals.
How long will it take?
- 2 – 2 and a half years, full-time
- Day release
What qualifications do I need to start?
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or above, to include English Language, Maths and Science, or suitable equivalents (for example, our Level 2 Diploma for Veterinary Care Assistants may substitute the Science GCSE, while Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English would be suitable in lieu of GCSEs in these subjects).
- Suitable placement as an apprentice Student Veterinary Nurse in an RCVS Approved Training Practice, or one which is seeking approval.
What qualifications will I gain?
- Level 3 Apprenticeship in Veterinary Nursing
- Suitably Qualified Person (SQP) for Companion Animals
Course options after this programme
- Progress onto the Advanced Diploma in Veterinary Nursing
- Complete further training in areas of interest, such as Emergency and Critical Care
- Work as a Registered Veterinary Nurse
- Become a Head Veterinary Nurse or Practice Manager
- Pharmaceutical Rep
- Teach Veterinary Nursing or support Student Veterinary Nurses in Practice as a Clinical Coach
- Work abroad as a Veterinary Nurse
Level 3 Veterinary Nurse Apprenticeship
Job title: Registered Veterinary Nurse with PDSA (People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals)
“I qualified as a veterinary nurse after studying at Reaseheath as an apprentice and I work for the UK’s leading veterinary charity at one of its 48 Pet Hospitals. We provide a fantastic service offering free and low-cost treatment alongside outreach community work and I help vulnerable people and animals in need every day.
“Studying via the apprenticeship route was great as I was a paid employee and able to work alongside my studies, gaining valuable insight and knowledge every day. Reaseheath’s facilities are good, especially the zoo, and the support my colleagues, staff and tutors gave me throughout my course was nothing short of amazing.
“Veterinary nursing is a brilliant profession and I can’t wait to see what my future career holds.”