T Level (Level 3) in
This new two-year qualification which follows GCSEs is an exciting option if you are looking for a course which brings classroom theory and a practical 315-hour work placement together.
Developed in collaboration with employers and businesses, you will learn and experience many aspects of the Food Sciences sector, to ensure you are well prepared for work in this dynamic industry.
What will I study?
In the first year you will cover core topics such as:
- Working within the Food and science sector
- Health, safety and environmental regulations
- Managing information and data
- Principles of good scientific and clinical practice
- Core science concepts including the structure of cells, tissues and large molecules, genetics, microbiology and immunology
You will also learn about topics specific to science:
- Understanding the Food science sector
- Further science knowledge, including cell cycle and cellular respiration, enzyme and protein structure, pathogens, classification of biological materials, kinetic changes and relevant analytical techniques
- Scientific methodology
- Experimental equipment and techniques
- Ethics of science
How long will it take?
- 2 years, full-time
What qualifications do I need to start?
- Typically 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (including maths and English), or a Level 2 qualification in a relevant subject or
- Transition to T Level (Level 2) in Food Sciences
What qualifications will I gain?
- T Level (Level 3) in Science (Food Sciences)
Course options after this programme
- This course is equivalent to three A Levels, so you could decide to progress onto Higher Education and study a degree, for example in BSc in Food Science and Technology or Foundation Degree in Bakery & Patisserie Technology or a Foundation Degree in Dairy Technology (Eden)
- You could complete a Higher Apprenticeship or,
- Go straight into employment within the Food sector
- Career options following the T Level in Food Sciences includes:
- Managerial Roles
- Project Officers
- Quality Assurance
- Team Leadership
- Technical Management
- Continuous Improvement officers