Safe use of brushcutters and trimmers (0014-26)
The safe use of brushcutters and trimmers requires safe and skillful operators. This qualification will help you in your day-to-day work environment and also helps to ensure the safety of bystanders if this equipment is used in a public place.
The training and assessment is divided into three compulsory units:
- Maintain the brushcutter/trimmer (compulsory)
- Operate a brushcutter
- Operate a clearing saw
- Operate a trimmer
1 day training followed by assessment at a later date.
You must be aged 16 years or over and be physically fit and able to complete the tasks involved.
Candidates must provide their own PPE.
Skills and Knowledge Assessed
- Legal and safety requirements
- Pre-start checks and correct selection of equipment for tasks involved
- Statutory guard requirements
- Material to be cut & correct use of the equipment
- Speed of blade/nylon cord
- Safety of the public and bystanders
- Cleaning, maintenance and storage of equipment
- Fitting nylon cord to a trimmer
- Correct adjustment of the harness and machine adjustments
- Safe lifting and handling
- Identification of hazards and erecting barriers/signs to safeguard the public
- Removal, sharpening and replacement of brushcutter/clearing saw blade