Safe use of mowers – pedestrian and ride on (0014-35)
To achieve this qualification you must be able to drive accurately and manoeuvre the mower safely and skilfully. You must also be able to carry out routine machine maintenance. Assessing the condition of the grass and adjusting the mower to achieve maximum efficiency will also be required.
Pedestrian and ride-on mowers – duration
1 day followed by an assessment at a later date.
You must be aged 16 years or over and be physically fit and able to complete the tasks involved. Candidates must provide their own PPE.
Skills and Knowledge Assessed
- Legal and safety requirements
- Operational adjustments
- Factors affecting efficiency
- Safe driving techniques
- Factors affecting cutting patterns
- Clearing blockages
- Converting the cutting mechanism
- Replacement of blades
- Correct cleaning of the mower
- Checking the free movement of working parts
- Check and adjust cutting heights and mechanisms
- End of season maintenance
- Mow a specified area
- Park a mower safely
- Maintenance requirements (daily and pre-starts checks and brake operation)