Tractor driving and related operations (compact or agricultural machinery)
Tractors are the “work horse” of the land-based industries. They are extremely versatile and are capable of performing a wide range of operations in different circumstances. You require a high level of skill/technical expertise to operate them safely and effectively.
This qualification applies to all sections of the industry which use tractors with conventional attachments including local authorities, utility companies and golf clubs.
The training and assessment is divided into four units:
- Pre-use safety of tractors (compulsory)
- Operate the tractor (compulsory)
- Pitch trailer and three point linkage implement to tractor (compulsory)
- Operate a loader (optional)
2 days followed by an assessment at a later date.
You must be aged 16 years or over and be physically fit and able to complete the tasks involved.
Candidates must provide their own PPE.
This course must be carried out on your site and with your equipment.
Skills & Knowledge Assessed
- Legal and safety requirements
- Safe driving techniques
- Operating methods to maximise fuel economy
- Interpretation of instruments
- Function of controls
- Safe operating procedures
- Inspection of the tractor (serviceability)
- Daily and pre-start checks
- Driving and checking brake operation
- Correct parking routine
- Cleaning and inspecting
- Hitching a trailer/PTO driven mounted machine
- Detaching and parking trailer and machine